Music, illustration, graphic design, and other interesting things.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Learning Music with (Soft) Synthesizers



Learning Music with Synthesizers

I picked this up a few weeks ago at the SF Library book sale.It's an easy to understand guide to basic synthesizer programming using the Arp Odyssey. It has various patch diagrams that you can use to recreate sounds. I don't have any Arp synths, but I do have Reaktor, and I used an Arp odyssey ensemble that someone made, and everything jives with the book. Plus it has that cool 70s cover!

More info:

Learning Music With Synthesizers
Written by David Friend, Alan R. Pearlman and Thomas D. Piggot.
Published 1974 by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation.
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 74-77567.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a copy of this book back in the '70s. I had an ARP Odyssey at the time (still have an ARP Avatar to this day). Both the book and the synth were excellent. As I recall, the book covered the concepts of electronic sound synthesis, and gave practical applications for the Odyssey.
My interest in synthesizers as a young teenager ultimately lead to my career in both electronics and computers. My hat's off to amazing people like Alan R. Pearlman and Robert Moog for their contribution to the field of electronic music! I'm sure many others have been inspired by these guys, and to some extent by Mr. Pearlman's work in this book.