Music, illustration, graphic design, and other interesting things.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Magazine "Definitive Gaze" live on the Old Grey Whistle Test 1978 video and .mp3



Above: "I like your nerve/I like watching you"

1978 week continues here at Audium with another cool video.
Magazine were a great post punk band fronted by Howard Devoto of the immortal Buzzcocks. They lasted a scant 4 years (77-81) but left some nice recordings. Here is a not great video quality, but certainly watchable clip of them performing the song "Definitive Gaze", which is one of my favorites. Thanks to gibby299 at the fantastic Dimeadozen.org
for the video. Dime a dozen is a site filled with amazing unreleased music and music videos, and I highly encourage you to join or get on their waiting list. Thanks also to for the vid caps.

Note to video conversion software programmers: you guys really need to get on the ball standardizing things. It took me hours to convert this file. We don't need 54 various similiary named codecs!

Magazine "Definitive Gaze" 16.6 MB .mp4 video file
Magazine "Definitive Gaze" 5.4 MB .mp3 file


Lyrics

Definitive Gaze


I've got this bird's eye view
and it's in my brain
clarity has reared
its ugly head again
so this is real life
you're telling me
and everything
is where it ought to be

I like your nerve
I like watching you
but I don't watch what I'm doing
got better things to do
so this is real life
you're telling me
now I'm lost in shock
your face fits perfectly

5 comments:

Fire Monkey Fish said...

I love your site. Too many good memories...I saw Magazine at the Whiskey a Go Go in the early 80's they were wonderful.

audiosports said...

Hey Fire Monkey Fish (awesome name!)
glad you like the blog. I was too young to see most of these bands, but I love listening to them.

A

audiosports said...

Hey pinko,

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

love the buzzcocks, not so much magazine...
and I also (still) am too young to have seen these bands...

Anonymous said...

This is the song that made learn to play bass guitar. One of the best intros end of story. Nice site, good work.