Music, illustration, graphic design, and other interesting things.

Friday, November 18, 2005

The Soft Machine "We Know What You Mean" 22/9/1967, Vitus Studio, Bussum, Holland, Hoepla TV Filming video


Above: Soft Machine at Hoepla: Marc Boyle, Mike, Kevin, unknown, Robert (aka Graham Chapman)

Today's obscure video comes from the Soft Machine. They are another one of those bands that you will hear about, but not actually hear much of. Others in this category include DNA, The Swell Maps, and the Residents. This is the first Soft Machine song I've heard, and I like it. Sounds a lot like Pink Floyd. The song is "We Know What You Mean" and they're performing it live in a tv studio in Holland in 1967. There are some cool oil lamp effects on this one, as well as interesting shots of hipsters dancing, including drummer Robert, who reminds me of Graham Chapman of Monty Python with a little Montgomery Burns thrown in. The audio is a bit hissy, so I didn't post an .mp3, but it shouldn't bother you while watching the video. Enjoy!

The Soft Machine "We Know What You Mean" 28 MB .mpg video

Screen caps on flickr

WE KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN
Words and Music
by Kevin Ayers


What do you know about nothing people?
You sell yourself so you can buy more
What do you care about bluffing people?
Does it make you want to try more?

We know what you mean
We know what you've seen
We understand

What do you care about bluffing people
Throwing sparrows from the treetops
What do you care about nothing people?
When you're waiting at the bus stop

I'm very glad to hear that
We understand the sky will be visible soon
We understand the sky will be visible soon

Soon soon soon you will be obliged to try
Soon soon soon to reach your moon and die

What do you care about nothing people?
You sell yourself so you can buy more
What do you care about nothing people?
And does it make you want to try more?

It's very nice to know

Everybody sing now
An optimistic future

8 comments:

Fire Monkey Fish said...

Oh boy Kevin Ayers. I love his music. Even Elton John played on some of Kevin's records in the early 70's before he was a big deal.

Bananamour rocks

audiosports said...

Hey Tim, thanks for stopping by

Anonymous said...

Great stuff man. Thanks for it.

i posted a link in my blog
http://tofuhaus.antville.org/

herr k.

Tom Matchett said...

Cool. Thanks for sending me the link.

I can't download it at the moment because I'm in Web Cafes, but as soon as I get my broadband at home back up, I'll download it.

A lot of the Boyle Family's oil lamp work has recently been remastered digitally. They've exhibited this a few times now but the project (as I was told when I met them) is ongoing.

Tom.

Anonymous said...

Great post. The guy dancing in the back is Simon Vinkenoog, Dutch/Amsterdam most famous beat poet, friend of beats world wide and a cult hero/writer (still).

audiosports said...

hey siebe, thanks for the info on Vinkenoog..looks cool

audiosports said...

Hey Tom,

Thanks for telling us about the Boyle family..I have to check them out. I wonder if any Joshua Light show stuff has been released

Anonymous said...

Simon Vinkenoog is also on the Woorden LP, along with Group 1850 poet Hans Wesseling. BTW there is one other song from this VPRO TV-show, it's "I should've known". Maybe you can add it for download as well. Recently I got some other vintage Soft Machine footage from an Italian TV broadcast. It's also ultracool.