Music, illustration, graphic design, and other interesting things.

Friday, November 11, 2005

On meeting Lord P. Vickers Ridley-Tree, Baron of St. Amand, and being driven home by him in a taxi



Above: Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree as Hamlet

The other day I was listening to a lecture about Oscar Wilde. The speaker mentioned that one of Wilde's contemporaries was Max Beerbohm, the critic and essayist. Last night, inexplicably, I was driven home in a cab by a descendent of Beerbohm's-a man who, moreover, is apparently a Baron.
As outlandish as it may seem, I did some research, and it seems that my driver, Lord P. Vickers ("Vick") Ridley-Tree, is the son of the late Lord Paul Ridley-Tree (obituary, scroll down), a southern California Philanthropist who supported a wide range of charities. His origins are:

He was born to Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree and [ed. Actress] Muriel Ridley in New York on December 29, 1917 while his parents were on an extended tour of the United States. His father passed away when Paul was only three months old. At the age of seven Paul was sent to school in Washington state until he graduated from college.

Now, do a quick search of Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree, and you'll come across 16 portraits in the English National Portrait Gallery. Here's one I like from another site. Beerbohm Tree was a successful victorian-era actor and theater manager, who founded the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 1904.

So, Beerbohm Tree's grandson, Lord P. Vickers "Vick" Ridley-Tree, is a charming guy, tour guide, Anthropologist and one time Peace Corps member. He operates "Mountain Man Tours" in the Bay Area. His number is (415) 637-6220.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting article. I met Lord "Vick" last evening with my husband. The three of us had business meeting/dinner. He is very interesting and quite a charming man. Thank you for the charming and knowledgeable conversations.

Bill & Robin Palos
Rock Island, Illinois

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank, Alberto Forero, the blogger, and Mr. and Mrs. Palos for their kind words and the telephone number which Mr. Forero posted. My long missing daughter, Ch'asca, saw the posting, telephoned me, and was reunited with her family. We had not seen eachother in twenty seven years! It is an incredible story with a happy ending.

Incidentally, with Bill Paloses and others' help I have re-entered the real estate restoration business which had been part of my livelihood before my family disappeared. I still do the tour guiding and taxi driving when I am not restoring houses.

Yours truly,
Lord Vick

Anonymous said...

I recently had the pleasure of meeting Lord Vick. I travel to the bay area about once a month and was in the exceptional company of Lord Vick for 10 miles from the airport to my hotel in San Carlos. I had his card in my laptop case and just ran across it and wanted to see if he had a website so I could thank him for the historical and pleasurable conversation during those 10 miles.

I relayed to my girlfriend when she arrived later that week as it was her first time to the bay area that I had met the real life Indiana Jones and it was the first time that when a cab ride was over, I wasn't wanting to jump out the window.

Lord Vick, If you get a chance to read this - Thank You for the most memorable greeting I can recall. I was recently in an accident and underwent 2 skin graft surgeries to both legs and feet. I won't be traveling for a while but hope to cross pathes with you again in our lifetimes. May God bless,

Todd
Tulsa, OK

Unknown said...

My family just returned from a trip to San Francisco and we had the pleasure of meeting Lord Ridley-Tree as well. He is a very charming man and definitely provided us with the most interesting cab ride of our lives! I came across his card in my wallet and thought it would be fun to "Google" him. What a surprise to come across this blog.

Kristina
Greenville, SC

Anonymous said...

I am an academic working on the history of the Tree family. Paul Ridley was the illegitimate result of a union between Muriel Ridley and Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree. As Sir Herbert died without legitimate male issue and illegitimate can not inherit, I am mystefied as to how Paul Ridley (and on his death, his son) have styled themselves as 'Lord.' If anything he would (except that he had older equally illegitimate male siblings) have become a baronet. Incidentally, the title of Baron St. Amand became extint in the 15 century.