Music, illustration, graphic design, and other interesting things.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Evanion Victorian Ephemera Catalogue at the British Library



above: Royal Aquarium, Westminster. Poster for Chang the Chinese Giant, c.1880.

"With some hesitancy of speech but the loving touch of a collector he opened his parcel. "I have brought you, sir, only a few of my treasures, sir, but if you will call - "
I heard no more. I remember only raising my hands before my eyes, as if I had been dazzled by a sudden shower of diamonds. In his trembling hands lay priceless treasures for which I had sought in vain … In the presence of his collection I lost all track of time.'
- Evanion’s collection as described by Harry Houdini in his book The Unmasking of Robert-Houdin, London, 1909
Just when you think you've seen all the amazing Victorian Ephemera there is, along comes another site. The British Library has posted images from the Evanion Catalogue of 19th Century Ephemera collected by a conjurer and Ventriloquist named Henry Evans. There's a lot of amazing stuff in here!

No comments: