Music, illustration, graphic design, and other interesting things.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

San Francisco Ghost Hunt



Moving to Pacific Heights a few years ago, I noticed something strange. Some nights when I came home, I would see a crowd slowly moving down my block, led by a mysterious man in top hat and overcoat, carrying a lantern. I was excited when I found out that this was the famous San Francisco Ghost Hunt, led by Jim Fassbinder. Pacific Heights is a stately old neighborhood filled with Victorian homes, and supposedly some restless former occupants, and it just so happens that I moved into a building across the street from one of those homes. The tour takes you to a hotel rumored to be haunted, to California Street, where you may encounter the wandering Flora, or Mary Ellen Pleasant, the "Voodoo queen of San Francisco" (and "Mother of Civil Rights in California")

Not covered by the SFGH, some other interesting sites nearby are a bulding at Sacramento and Webster which Hitchcock filmed (I can't remember which movie), as well as the demolished "Church of Satan", the Old Jim Jones' People's Temple (now a post offfice), and the site of the last known killing by the Zodiac.
I haven't had a chance to go on the tour yet, but it is on the top of my list.

No comments: